Phone interviews can be a bit nerve-racking. In this article, we will share some top tips on how to ace it!
According to US News.com, there are various “tricks of the trade” that you can utilize before, during and after your phone interview:
- Dress for success – when we dress for success, it boosts our confidence levels
- Print your resume out – keep it nearby and refer to it often
- Open up any relevant websites before the call – the interviewer may request for you to take a look at something on their site or social media platforms
- Call from a landline in your home– preferably be in a room when you can shut the door.
- Keep pets in a safe location in your home – a barking dog or purring cat does not project a professional image.
- Smile –the caller can tell if you are enthusiastic about taking their call
- Book a meeting from a meeting – when closing the call, take the time to share why a face-to-face meeting is essential and schedule a time when that will occur before the call ends.
- Quickly send a thank you email after the call ends – a well-timed email thanking the interviewer for their call shows a significant amount of professionalism. It’s hard to believe, but many interviewees do not take this critical step.
Which of these tips will you implement with your next phone interview?
If you are looking to fine tune your phone interview skills even more, our team at Richmond Hazelton Group is ready to help! Richmond Hazleton Group is a boutique, professional recruitment and search firm, focused on providing a cost-effective alternative to traditional search firms. Contact us today!