In March 2020, many businesses were forced to allow employees to work virtually due to stay at home orders caused by the coronavirus.
If companies wanted to survive, they had to pivot their HR departments and modify their process of conducting in-person interviews to staging virtual interviews for everyone who applied to their open job positions.
And because of the pandemic, you may find yourself being interviewed remotely. Here are some tips that will help you ace your interview:
- Conduct your interview in a private and quiet location
- Let others know in your surroundings that you will be on a video call
- Dress for success – yes, pants are required!
- This changes your demeanor to a professional mindset
- Test your internet connection
- Is your computer able to handle the load from the video connection?
- Clean background
- If a clean background is not an option, consider downloading a virtual background
- Test your audio and video connections within the video conferencing app you are using
- Check your eye level – does your computer sit high enough that you can look the other person in the eye and not look down on them
- Lighting – it can make all the difference – not too bright or dark – reduce any lighting glare when possible
- Test your voice level – too soft? Too loud?
- Body language is super important to keep in mind
- Wait until the other person is done speaking before replying to them – allow for a small pause before talking
There is no doubt a video interview can be stressful, but when you utilize our suggestions, you will be able to put your best foot forward and ace your interview.
Even though our team is working remotely due to COVID-19, we are ready to put our years of experience to work and help you stay ahead of the competition during your job searching process!
Richmond Hazleton Group is a boutique, professional recruitment and search firm, focused on providing a cost-effective alternative to traditional search firms.
Contact us today to see how we can help you land your next job!